Monday, April 29, 2013

Cherished Always

I was watching a show the other night on PBS-- "Call the Midwives." It's pretty cute, about midwives working in London's East End in the 50's. This episode was about a special needs child that was born, and how the family, doctors and nurses usually reacted to that. It broke my heart how most of these children were sent off to special institutions, where they saw their families rarely, if ever. I could never imagine in a million years giving my child up, no matter what kind of issues he or she had. I know it was a different time, but it's still hard to relate.

Avery's issues are tremendous, obviously, but she enriches our lives so, so much. I grieve for these children that were sent away. What a loss that their families will never, ever understand. At the end of the episode, the narrator is speaking about this particular family changing their minds and deciding to keep their son at home. She says,

Sometimes in life, one has to take a chance.
Without risk, there's no possibility,
without potential loss, no prize.

He defied all odds
and thrived
and was cherished always.

That's how I feel about my Avery. Her future is always uncertain, but no matter what, she will be cherished always. She deserves that.


Photobucket

2 comments :

  1. Beautiful. She is cherished by her Aunt Ali always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All children should be cherished - especially those with special needs. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...