Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Modified Atkins

We've officially been on Avery's new diet plan for two weeks! What an education. I actually had it in my head that my girls' diet was in the somewhat healthy range. HAHAHAHAHAHA

Little did I know how many carbs they were really eating every day. Eye-opening! And I thought that giving up juice and milk would be super hard, but it really only took Avery a couple of days to adjust to the flavored water. Now I think she is drinking more liquids than ever, which we have always struggled with, so that's a positive. Negatives are the delicious weekly meals she had to give up: Saturday lunch at Chick-fil-a, Freebirds burrito and Daddy's yummy spaghetti. Really, she's been handling it like a champ and we've only had a couple angry and annoyed meals. 

Gone are the Amy's cheddar bunnies, yogurt raisins and goldfish snacks. CHEESE is our saving grace, and I am trying to get used to serving her so much protein. The modified Atkins diet is all about fats, so we are soaking up small amounts of approved veggies in butter and making cream sauces for her meats.

The new diet has already affected Maddie's food as well, even though she's not technically on the diet. She started eating celery! And she hasn't had french fries in more than two weeks either... because I am NOT going to make Avery smell or watch her sister eat them, that would be cruel! Little sister has not been too thrilled about this but hasn't put up a huge fight either, thank goodness.

Last week I did a little research on low carb treats and came across a very low (almost no) carb pasta on Amazon. So I ordered it of course! 


Shirataki pasta--- it comes in a little baggie filled with water
and it's apparently made from plants

It cooks up a little transluscent and needs drying...


The final product is a little gummier than real pasta, but it does the trick and Avery really seemed to enjoy her faux pasta with a tiny bit of sauce and lotsa cheese! I tried to get some post dinner pics with lil'bub but she was not in a big smiling mood. It was the very end of the day, but I still thought she looked like a little bit'o'sunshine, even with the get-the-camera-out-of-my-face expressions :) 


One half smile for mommy and daddy

She continues to have one seizure pretty much every day, but they are short and she still recovers quickly. We're hoping another week or two on the diet and we may see some changes.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...