Sunday, March 15, 2015

Book Club

I'm doing an official not-about-my-kids-post! wow! I hope that is not a cue for you to stop reading. Ha! Talking about reading, and thanks to joining a neighborhood book club and getting a bunch of great books for Christmas from Bub the hub, I have actually been devouring books (almost) like I used to. It's a very wonderful thing that I truly miss... from before I traded my functioning brain cells and seemingly all of my energy for the adorable little loves that are my children.

So for the last eight months, I've managed to get through nine books... which does not sound like very many now that I write it down. But it's a hella lot more than I've averaged for the previous 6+ years!! Awesome. Anyway, if you are anything like me and enjoy a great book, I thought I'd save you some time and let you know what's worth reading. 

After Visiting Friends: A Son's Story by Michael Hainey-- This is one of two memoirs/non-fiction of the group. The premise was really intriguing to me as the author goes on a real-life search to figure out the secrets behind his father's death at a very young age of an apparent heart attack. Both father and son were newspaper reporters, so it was interesting to read the behind the scenes stuff. Easy to follow and definitely suspenseful. Grade: B

Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter-- Lord knows I like flashbacks and these are done so beautifully and intertwined so gracefully. There's 1960's Italy, modern day L.A., a love affair and cameos by Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton! What's not to love? No, seriously, it's a pretty fun read. Grade: A-

The Rosie Project by Graeme Stimsion-- a fun and unique premise and a glimpse into the mind of someone with autistic tendencies. Full of humor and great characters and a super fast read! Grade: B

Gray Mountain by John Grisham-- not sure how else to say it... SKIP IT. Also, is John Grisham still even writing his own books anymore? This one would make me hope no. Grade: D

Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham-- obvs the other memoir. I thought it was hilarious. If you like Lena or her show, Girls, I would highly recommend. Although the honesty is sometimes hard to bear (I am semi-prudish though..), I still tremendously admire her crazy life experiences and talent. Grade: A

The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters-- This initially had me interested because it's a period piece, which is my fav. 1920's to be exact. A young woman and her widowed mother are forced by a loss of wealth to take on renters in their upper class home.  I have to give this one props because it totally shocked me only about 1/3 of the way in, which pretty much never happens. I can kind of guess the plot turns of t.v. shows/books/movies about a mile away. After that big one, it does get a little predictable though... but the ending feels good in a way. Grade: B-

Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng-- This book opens with the mysterious death of the oldest daughter from a Chinese- American family. There are many unknowns around her death but I found the slow reveal of this girl's character to be even more absorbing. Or perhaps, how you think you know a person (even your daughter, or mother) but you really don't.. at all. I think this author is very talented. Grade: A

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins-- SO suspenseful that it's a crazy quick read because you cannot even put it down. At least I couldn't because I HAD to know whodoneit. A woman travels on the same train every day and finds herself involved in a murder mystery. Best summary ever, right? Also, the (alcoholic) protagonist is very hard to like, which makes it both unique and annoying. Grade: B-

Enchanted by Rene Denfeld-- I'm actually not technically finished with this one quite yet but it's a gorgeous read so far. It takes place in a prison, on death row actually. Doesn't sound gorgeous, right? But the author's way with words is... enchanting :). It's about redemption and "the human capacity to transcend even the most nightmarish reality." I love it. Grade: A+

Now go forth and read!!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...